Surinam Cherry Cuttings

Bonsai Growing sub-forum; In this section variety of plant types to use, light, soil mix types, trimming technics, root trimming, airflow, pot size selection, companion type plants to use-moss etc. branch training and selection, growing from seed, seedlings, fertilization, watering, drainage etc are discussed here.

Moderators: Epi*Lover*Pat, Jerrysdca, Stephen, Dark Fragrance

Surinam Cherry Cuttings

Postby wizzard419 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:41 am

Hi All, hopefully someone still reads this forum. :D

I have a Surinam cherry tree growing and wanted to make a bonsai with the cutting. The first time out it looks like I didn't get sucess with getting the cutting to root as it is starting to dry out, no color change though.

Here is the process I used.

I took a cutting from branch with new growth, second from the newest growth, trimmed most of the leaves off, dunked it in a homemade hormone (the suggestion was a honey and water mix similar to simple syrup), and put it in a pot of sterile tropical soil.

That was about 3 weeks ago, the leaves seem to be drying out more between mistings of water so I am not sure if the plant isn't taking root or not since I was told not to disturb it for months. I'm not sure if it's the weather or if it's dying.
wizzard419
*Epi Cacti enthusiast*

Return to Bonsai Growing sub-forum